Close Menu
  • Home
  • UNSUBSCRIBE
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Travel
Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp
Trending
  • Global warming is accelerating 5,000 times faster than rice can evolve
  • Scientists discover deadly, highly venomous box jellyfish near Singapore’s ‘Island of Death Behind’
  • Poll: What do you think of PMOS, the new name for PCOS?
  • Celestron Outland X 10×25 roof prism binocular review
  • Withings Body Scan review: Smart scale turned all-in-one health hub
  • World’s first ‘native’ color lidar will let robots and self-driving cars map the world in full color 3D
  • Bright-blue ‘potash ponds’ shine alongside a dark-green river in Utah — Earth from space
  • Deadly Ebola outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern, WHO declares
Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp
Baynard Media
  • Home
  • UNSUBSCRIBE
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Travel
Baynard Media
Home»News»Patrol vehicle hit by shrapnel as Marines fired live artillery over California interstate, highway patrol says
News

Patrol vehicle hit by shrapnel as Marines fired live artillery over California interstate, highway patrol says

EditorBy EditorOctober 20, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

SAN DIEGO — The Marines Corps has launched an investigation after the California Highway Patrol said shrapnel from an artillery shell, fired during a live-fire demonstration touted by the White House, struck a law enforcement vehicle.

No injuries were reported when an artillery round “detonated overhead prematurely” during Saturday’s 250th anniversary celebration for the Marines Corps at Camp Pendleton, the highway patrol said.

But at least one of its patrol vehicles, on hand to help stop and divert traffic on Interstate 5 through the base during the demonstration, was damaged, the highway patrol said in a statement Sunday.

“This was an unusual and concerning situation,” CHP Border Division Chief Tony Coronado, who also identified himself as a Marine, said in the statement. “It is highly uncommon for any live-fire or explosive training activity to occur over an active freeway.”

Capt. Gregory Dreibelbis, spokesperson for I Marine Expeditionary Force, said in a statement Sunday that officials “are aware of the report of a possible airborne detonation of a 155mm artillery round outside the designated impact area” during Saturday’s Marine Corps amphibious capabilities demonstration.

Pictures from a CHP incident report show a black-and-white unit with a hood apparently pierced by shrapnel, as well as multiple munition fragments. The report indicated that the fragment on the hood measured around 2 inches by 2 inches. According to a CHP map, the vehicle was at Interstate 5 and Las Pulgas Road, nearly a mile north of the Red Beach demonstration along the northernmost coast of San Diego County, when it was hit.

The California Highway Patrol said shrapnel from live artillery, fired over Interstate 5 as part of a demonstration during celebrations for the U.S. Marine Corps' 250th anniversary, struck a patrol vehicle.
The highway patrol said shrapnel from live artillery, fired over Interstate 5 as part of the anniversary demonstration, struck a patrol vehicle.California Highway Patrol

The report said a motorcycle officer also found a fragment measuring about 1 inch by a half-inch near his own vehicle.

The CHP said the strike happened as officers were temporarily halting traffic on the freeway so motorists would be out of harm’s way during the demonstration.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom had been critical of the plan to fire live munitions over the interstate in the days leading up to Saturday’s celebrations, which were attended by Vice President JD Vance and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who both spoke at the event.

Newsom, a Democrat who has repeatedly sparred with the Trump administration, had criticized the potential impact of a temporary closure of the 80,000-vehicles-per-day Interstate 5, and he said state authorities were denied sufficient notice of a dangerous and “absurd show of force.”

“This could have killed someone,” Newsom said Sunday on X.

Asked for a response to the CHP’s report of a shrapnel strike, Newsom spokesperson Diana Crofts-Pelayo also pointed to a post on the X account for the governor’s office: “We love our Marines and owe a debt of gratitude to Camp Pendleton, but next time, the Vice President and the White House shouldn’t be so reckless with people’s lives for their vanity projects.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment Sunday.

In the lead-up to Saturday’s celebrations, officials within the Trump administration had characterized complaints about the live-fire demonstrations and consequent freeway shutdown as an overreaction.

“Gavin Newsom wants people to think this exercise is dangerous,” William Martin, Vance’s communications director, said in a statement to The New York Times. “The Marine Corps says it’s an established and safe practice. Newsom wants people to think this is an absurd show of force. The Marine Corps says it’s part of routine training at Camp Pendleton.”

Dreibelbis, the Marine spokesman, said safety protocols were observed.

“The demonstration went through a rigorous safety evaluation, and deliberate layers of redundancy, to ensure the safety of fellow citizens,” he said, adding that live fire was suspended Saturday in accordance with safety protocols.

The CHP said it wants to conduct a review and create better communication with federal officials. Dreibelbis said the Marine Corps has launched an investigation and wants to learn from the incident, as well.

“We are committed to determining the incident’s root cause and applying findings to future missions,” he said.

Dennis Romero

Dennis Romero is a breaking news reporter for NBC News Digital.

Elyse Perlmutter-Gumbiner, Bill Feather and Madeline Morrison contributed.

Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleTrump pushes back on ‘No Kings’ protesters, says he ‘works his ass off’
Next Article New Zealand vs England second T20I: Phil Salt and Adil Rashid lead tourists to record 65-run victory at Hagley Oval | Cricket News
Editor
  • Website

Related Posts

News

Omar files new financial form in response to Trump, GOP critics

April 21, 2026
News

Ex-CENTCOM commanderwarns against ‘risky’ US ground op to seize Iran uranium

April 21, 2026
News

Santa Ana’s Upcoming Report on Police Firing on ICE Protesters Lacks Details

April 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Categories
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Travel
Recent Posts
  • Global warming is accelerating 5,000 times faster than rice can evolve
  • Scientists discover deadly, highly venomous box jellyfish near Singapore’s ‘Island of Death Behind’
  • Poll: What do you think of PMOS, the new name for PCOS?
  • Celestron Outland X 10×25 roof prism binocular review
  • Withings Body Scan review: Smart scale turned all-in-one health hub
calendar
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    
Recent Posts
  • Global warming is accelerating 5,000 times faster than rice can evolve
  • Scientists discover deadly, highly venomous box jellyfish near Singapore’s ‘Island of Death Behind’
  • Poll: What do you think of PMOS, the new name for PCOS?
About

Welcome to Baynard Media, your trusted source for a diverse range of news and insights. We are committed to delivering timely, reliable, and thought-provoking content that keeps you informed
and inspired

Categories
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Travel
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • UNSUBSCRIBE
© 2026 copyrights reserved

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.