Close Menu
  • Home
  • UNSUBSCRIBE
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Travel
Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp
Trending
  • Deadly Ebola outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern, WHO declares
  • 1,200-year-old giant ‘death jar’ in Laos contains generations of human skeletons
  • Doctor’s kit found on Mount Vesuvius victim in Pompeii
  • 950-year-old burial of a pet dingo is first clear archaeological evidence of humans ritually ‘feeding’ a grave anywhere in the world
  • Daunian kyathos: A 2,700-year-old ceramic cup from Italy decorated with an exuberant-looking, bug-eyed fellow
  • ‘Truly significant’: James Webb telescope reveals largest-ever map of the universe’s hidden megastructures
  • Webb and Hubble sink deep into the dazzling Whirlpool Galaxy — Space photo of the week
  • ‘Last titan’ of Thailand discovered, and it’s the longest-necked dinosaur on record from Southeast Asia
Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp
Baynard Media
  • Home
  • UNSUBSCRIBE
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Travel
Baynard Media
Home»News»Federal judge halts deportation of hundreds of Guatemalan children
News

Federal judge halts deportation of hundreds of Guatemalan children

EditorBy EditorSeptember 18, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A federal judge on Thursday blocked the Trump administration from deporting hundreds of Guatemalan minors to their home country after the government walked back claims that it intended to reunite the youths with their parents.

Judge Timothy Kelly, who issued the order, signaled his skepticism of the removals in a hearing last week, noting declarations from minors who said they feared facing violence or neglect if they were returned to Guatemala.

“It goes without saying that makes that irreparable harm,” Kelly said of their possible removals.

Kelly, a Trump appointee, also raised a report from the Guatemalan attorney general’s office, which plaintiffs submitted to the court. The report was compiled in response to Health and Human Services’ Office of Refugee Resettlement notifying the Guatemalan government that it planned to return more than 600 minors to Guatemala. No parents had requested the return of their children, the report said. Welch said she had no evidence to contradict the report.

BIDEN JUDGE HALTS ‘SURPRISING’ ILLEGAL ALIEN MINOR REPATRIATION PLAN AFTER ADVOCACY GROUPS SUE

HHS building sign

A sign is displayed outside of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services headquarters at the Hubert H. Humphrey Building on June 2, 2025, in Washington, D.C. (Kevin Carter/Getty Images)

“I don’t have anything specific that I can refer to contest the Guatemalan AG’s report,” Welch said, though she also said that some children have signaled they are interested in returning home.

The judge’s order arose from a lawsuit brought against the Trump administration after federal authorities woke up 70 minors, aged 10 to 17, in the middle of the night over Labor Day weekend while they were in HHS custody and transferred them to a plane bound for Guatemala. 

Attorneys for some of the minors secured an emergency restraining order from Judge Sparkle Sooknanan that prevented their imminent deportation. Kelly’s order effectively extends that order indefinitely.

The Trump administration could appeal the decision. Fox News Digital reached out to the Department of Homeland Security for comment.

The minors’ attorneys argued their clients were at imminent risk of removal despite some having pending asylum cases or other legal claims that had not fully been vetted by the courts.

LAWYERS CHALLENGE DEPORTATION OF HUNDREDS OF MINORS TO GUATEMALA

Guatemalan migrant

A woman shows a cellphone to a Guatemalan migrant deported from the United States inside a bus after his arrival at the Guatemalan Air Force Base in Guatemala City on Aug. 31, 2025.  (JOHAN ORDONEZ/AFP via Getty Images)

Sooknanan initially addressed the lawsuit over Labor Day weekend, but Kelly has since taken the case over.

Trump administration officials, including a Department of Homeland Security spokesperson, had excoriated Sooknanan when he issued her order, claiming the judge was blocking children from returning to their parents.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“Judge Sparkle [Sooknanan] is blocking flights to *reunify* Guatemalan children with their families,” DHS spokeswoman Tricia McLaughlin wrote on social media at the time. “Now these children have to go to shelters. This is disgusting and immoral.”

The minors’ attorneys argued in court papers that trafficking and immigration laws “prevent unaccompanied children from being whisked off under cover of darkness at the whim of any government.” The minors in question are currently in Health and Human Services custody and have no legal guardians in the United States, the attorneys have said.

Ashley Oliver is a reporter for Fox News Digital and FOX Business, covering the Justice Department and legal affairs. Email story tips to ashley.oliver@fox.com.

Source link

federal courts federal judges immigration judiciary justice department Politics
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleBest portable power station deal: Save $350 on Bluetti Elite 100 V2
Next Article New report warns that China could overtake the US as top nation in space
Editor
  • Website

Related Posts

News

Omar files new financial form in response to Trump, GOP critics

April 21, 2026
News

Ex-CENTCOM commanderwarns against ‘risky’ US ground op to seize Iran uranium

April 21, 2026
News

Santa Ana’s Upcoming Report on Police Firing on ICE Protesters Lacks Details

April 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Categories
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Travel
Recent Posts
  • Deadly Ebola outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern, WHO declares
  • 1,200-year-old giant ‘death jar’ in Laos contains generations of human skeletons
  • Doctor’s kit found on Mount Vesuvius victim in Pompeii
  • 950-year-old burial of a pet dingo is first clear archaeological evidence of humans ritually ‘feeding’ a grave anywhere in the world
  • Daunian kyathos: A 2,700-year-old ceramic cup from Italy decorated with an exuberant-looking, bug-eyed fellow
calendar
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    
Recent Posts
  • Deadly Ebola outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern, WHO declares
  • 1,200-year-old giant ‘death jar’ in Laos contains generations of human skeletons
  • Doctor’s kit found on Mount Vesuvius victim in Pompeii
About

Welcome to Baynard Media, your trusted source for a diverse range of news and insights. We are committed to delivering timely, reliable, and thought-provoking content that keeps you informed
and inspired

Categories
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Travel
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • UNSUBSCRIBE
© 2026 copyrights reserved

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.